Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Closet Makeover to HOBBY NOOK

I am so so so happy to present my completed hobby nook. It has been in the works for about 9 months. Clearly, it takes me entirely too long to finish tasks that I start, but at least I can finally say that it is done.



How did I become so lucky as to get my own hobby nook? Well...

My sweet husband bought me a sewing machine for Christmas last year. After several projects that completely destroyed the living room, I decided that I just had to have my own special work space for my sewing, crafts, etc. Men get "man caves" so why can't I have a hobby nook? Well, the hubs heard my cries and made it happen.

Over my birthday last year, I was away from home for an entire month taking a class for school.
:(   Little did I know that my husband was at home slaving away cleaning out one of our closets to house my new hobby desk. He found a perfect desk at a local antique shop and sanded it....


and primed it...


and painted it TURQUOISE!


He then called me early on my birthday and told me to get my laptop and open up my email. Waiting there for me was a document containing photos of the progress of the desk and the finished product. He also reminded me of how great of a man I have, and he was right. Here is the picture of the finished product.


As you can see from the first picture, the space has been added to since this first addition. I had lots of decorating ideas for the space and couldn't wait to get home and start on them. Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of the projects that I did as they were in progress but here are pics of the finished products.

The first thing I did was buy a peg board from Home Depot. Yep, the same kind that you can find in most garages. However, I spruced it up a bit.


I spray painted the entire thing pink. After it dried, I placed lace on top of it and then sprayed a coat of white paint. This is how I got the floral design on the board. I also got some molding (the kind that goes around door frames) at Home Depot and painted it white. My hubby was kind enough to make the frame around the peg board. Now I had a great place to hang all of my most used craft tools. I got these white buckets at The Container Store.


I made the CREATE letters from cheap wooden letters at Hobby Lobby. Then painted them the same turquoise as the desk and mod podged on scrapbook paper that coordinated with both the turquoise and pink.


My final project was painting this old cabinet that I got from my mother-in-law. It was a dirty off-white color and was a left behind treasure that she acquired after buying a new house. It's a great place to house my ribbon.


This past Christmas, my husband spoiled me even more by buying me a Serger machine and the super cute pink tractor seat stool to complete my nook.

 

Happy Crafting.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment