Sunday, March 24, 2013

Match Week Part 2: Match Day!



So this post is a little late since last weekend was full of celebrating! I found out on Friday, March 15, that I got my 1st choice of residency which was in Psychiatry! I just couldn't be happier about it! So here's a run down of how the week went.

After finding out on Monday that I had matched, I began to wonder where I matced. I became more and more anxious about this as the week went on. Since I applied to both Psychiatry and Family Medicine, I had no idea what was going to happen. The anxiety built all week until on Thursday night I nearly reached an anxiety breaking point. I was wishing at about that time that I had some Psych drugs to calm me down!! :) Well I didn't have any so the next best thing was to just go to bed and hope to get some sleep for the big day ahead.

Friday (Match Day) finally arrived. I woke up that morning so so so excited and so so so anxious. I was incredibly grateful that my hubby and family came to support me. Both my parents and my brother's family were able to join me. The celebration began with brunch and much needed mimosas. As 11:00 am approached and the dean of students approaches the podium with a briefcase containing envelopes for each student, the anxiety continues to build. The letters in those envelopes contained all of our fates for the next 3-5 years. The dean made a few announcements and then it was time to call out names to come up and receive our envelopes and our fates. I didn't have to wait long to hear my name called. "Whooooooo!!" My husband yelled out after my name was called. I get up and walk to the side of the stage to get my envelope along with several other of my classmates. At this point, I am literally shaking. I push through the shaking and nerves and open my envelope on the side of the stage....There is just no way I could do it at the podium in front of all my classmates and their families with the shakes as bad as I had. I looked down at the paper inside that said where I matched and all that was running through my mind is "Thank God. Thank God. Thank God." I then walked up the steps to the podium, placed my dollar in the jar (a tradition at my school. Each student places a dollar in a jar as they annouce where they matched and the last person to be called gets all the money.), and announced where I matched. Of course, my anxiety level is still at an all time high so the pictures don't do justice to how excited I really was.

 


As I left the stage, I smiled at my husband as a waved my paper in the air. What an amazing feeling!!

My family and I then went to lunch, where my sweet hubby presented me with my "draft day" shirt. My sister-in-law asked how he knew where I had matched so that he could have a shirt made. Well...he didn't. He actually had 3 shirts made just in case. Haha. Such a sweetie.

No comments:

Post a Comment